Tom James is a 20-plus year veteran of TV & radio sportscasting.
Play-by-Play/Studio Host: ESPN, ESPN Wide World of Sports, Lax Sports Network, ASun Conference, FGCU, Stetson
Tom does TV Play-by-Play & Studio Hosting for multiple college, pro, & youth sports for the ESPN family of networks, ESPN Wide World of Sports, Lax Sports Network, & the ASUN Conference. His specialties include college basketball, college football, lacrosse, soccer, softball, volleyball, pro watercross, baseball, tennis, & marshall arts.
*Regular Play-by-Play gigs include:
-2017 & 2018 Major League Lacrosse seasons - Florida Launch home games (LSN)
-2010-present FGCU Men's & Women's Basketball (ESPN)
-2017 & 2018 Stetson Football & Basketball (ESPN)
-2018 ASUN Conference Men's & Women's Basketball Championships (ESPN)
-2017 & 2018 ASUN Conference Beach Volleyball Championships (ESPN)
-2017 NASL Jacksonville Armada FC Soccer (Jacksonville & Orlando CW)
-2015-present ESPN Wide World of Sports, including: International Soccer, MAAC Soccer Championships, Disney Soccer Showcase, Pop Warner Superbowl, AAU Volleyball, College Tennis, International Marshall Arts Festival, Cross Country, hosting the first-ever show in the brand new state-of-the-art ESPN Studio at the Disney Complex.
-2016 Pro Watercross - 2016 Flyboard World Cup Championship in Naples, FL for CBS Sports Network's "CBS Sports Spectacular."
TV/Documentary Host/Play-by-Play: FGCU
From 2010 to the present, Tom has done Play-by-Play & TV hosting for Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) in Dunk City. Over the past eight (8) years, three (3) of those as "Voice of the Eagles", Tom has called hundreds of Men's & Women's Basketball games for FGCU's ESPN+/3, radio, & internet broadcasts. That includes Men's games at Duke, Indiana, TCU, & Toledo as well as NCAA Tournament & NIT games, and ESPN's "Midnight Madness" specials live from Dunk City tipping off the 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016, & 2014-2015 seasons.
During FGCU's magical March Madness run of 2013, Tom traveled with the team to the Sweet 16 in Dallas. He subsequently hosted the Chris Nealon-produced TV documentary "Dunk City: We Are FGCU" chronicling the Cinderella run, which aired throughout Southwest Florida on WGCU-TV (PBS). To date, "Dunk City: We Are FGCU" has over 40,000 views on YouTube. In May 2014, "Dunk City: We Are FGCU" won a 2014 Telly Award in the Television Documentary category. In Fall 2014, Tom hosted and Co-Produced (with Nealon) the documentary sequel, "The Dunk City Effect". In November 2014, "The Dunk City Effect" premiered on WGCU-TV (PBS).
Tom is Host and Co-Producer (again with Nealon) and was responsible for the original concept of the FGCU Women's Basketball 2015 documentary, "Raining 3s," on WGCU-TV (PBS).
From 2010 to 2012, Tom hosted FGCU's first-ever Men's & Women's Basketball Coaches Shows, and the school's first-ever weekly 30-minute TV magazine, the "FGCU Sports Report" (produced by WGCU), covering all of FGCU's Men's & Women's sports.
To date, Tom's work has received more than 100,000 combined views on YouTube.
Tom has also called Eagles baseball (including FGCU's 2012 upset of the #1 ranked Florida in Gainesville and the 2013 road sweep of the Gators) & FGCU softball games (including the 2012 trip to the NCAA Tournament).
Along with broadcasting, Tom has emceed multiple Men's & Women's Basketball Banquets, as well as the "Dunk City: We Are FGCU," "The Dunk City Effect," and "Raining 3s" premiere screenings for FGCU.
Television Sports Anchor
A 2-time Edward R. Murrow Award Winner & 2-time NBC-TV Sports Director/Anchor in Charlottesville, Virginia (WVIR) and Fort Myers/Naples, Florida (WBBH), Tom has covered the NFL (Superbowl/Playoffs, Redskins, Bucs, & Dolphins beats), SEC & ACC basketball & football (multiple bowl games, UVA, Gators, Seminoles, & Hurricanes beats), MLB, NBA, NASCAR, hockey, golf, & tennis. Tom also created & launched “The Dream 18,” a weekly series featuring the most challenging golf courses in Southwest Florida and he conceived & introduced “Tom’s Top Performer” to Southwest Florida, featuring a high school scholar/athlete of the week.
Southern Pigskin Tonight
Tom talks College & NFL football on the Regionally Syndicated weekly radio show "Southern Pigskin Tonight", which includes Buddy Martin (Emmy & Pulitzer award winning journalist/author), Tom Schmitz (former college football player/Ga. Southern), & Terry Bradshaw (NFL Hall-of-Famer/4-time SuperBowl champion/Fox NFL Sundays).
"Southern Pigskin Tonight" airs Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturday's on ten (10) stations over three (3) states: Orlando's WHOO SportsTalk 1080 The Team (FL), Tampa's WHBO SportsTalk 1040 The Team (FL), Ocala's WMOP Florida Sports Talk, WYKE Fox Sports Radio (FL), ESPN Radio Savannah/Hilton Head AM 1400 & FM 104.3 WSEG (SC/GA), ESPN Radio Coastal Georgia AM 790 & FM 103.7 WSFN (GA), and ESPN Radio Waycross/Blackshear AM 1350 WFNS (GA).
In North Central Florida, Tom hosts the Coaches Shows & does basketball Play-by-Play for Daytona State College on WDSC-TV in Daytona Beach/Orlando & handles radio Play-by-Play duties on 96.3FM/1370AM WOCA “The Source” each Fall for Friday night high school football and during basketball season for the 2013 Men’s JuCo National Champions, the College of Central Florida.
Away from broadcasting, Tom is the Director of Networking & Partner Services at the (CEP) Ocala/Marion County Chamber & Economic Partnership. Tom oversees sponsorship procurement & community networking events. He also hosts the popular Business After Hours, attended by more 400 CEP Partners monthly.
Tom got his start in his hometown of Ocala, Florida as a 17-year-old Part-time Sportswriter & Golf Columnist at the Ocala Star-Banner and Morning Sports Anchor in local radio. He is a graduate of the University of Central Florida in Orlando with a degree in Radio/Television Communications. During his college years, Tom did Play-by-Play for UCF football, basketball, & baseball, was a DJ for WUCF radio, writer for the student newspaper, and along with a few friends, helped launch UCF’s first ever completely independent, student-run TV magazine, "UCF Up Close." Post-graduation, he worked as an Associate Producer at Orlando NBC affiliate WESH, before landing his first on-air TV Sports gig.
Articles & Awards
- 2014 Telly Award - Host of TV Documentary "Dunk City: We Are FGCU!"
- Feature article: Ocala’s Good Life magazine, 2014
- Cover article: Downtown Neighbors magazine, 2013
- Feature article: Believe In A Cure magazine, UF Shands Cancer Center News, 2012
- Feature article: RSW Living magazine, Southwest Florida people “Making Waves”, 2012
- Feature article: Pinnacle magazine, Florida Gulf Coast University, 2011
- Feature article: Ocala Style magazine, 2003
- Edward R. Murrow Award from RTNDA, for NASCAR feature story, 2003
- Best Sportscaster, Gulfshore Life: The Magazine of Southwest Florida, 2002
- WINK Radio’s TV’s Hunkiest Hunk of SW Florida, 2002
- Associated Press Award “Best Sports Video”, 2001
- Edward R. Murrow Award from RTNDA, for wrestling feature story, 1999
- Best Year-Round Sports Coverage Award from the Virginia AP Broadcasters, 1998 & 1997
- Emcee: 2017 & 2018 Parade of Nations - Horse Celebration
- Emcee: 2018 AMP Active Marion Project Kickoff Event
- Emcee: 2017 United Way Campaign Kickoff Event
- Emcee: Royal Dames 31st Annual Tiara Ball for Cancer Research
- Emcee: Walk to Defeat ALS
- Emcee: Bridles, Birdies, & BBQ - Fundraiser for First Tee of Greater Ocala
- Member: Ocala Rotary Club
- Emcee: 2016 United Way "Passport to the Community" banquet
- 2016: United Way of Marion County Annual Meeting Sub-Committee
- Guest Speaker: Ocala/Silver Springs Rotary Club, 2015
- Emcee: Marion County High School Football Awards Banquet, 2014 & 2015
- 2013-2014 Ambassador for Ocala/Marion County CEP (Chamber Economic Partnership)
- 2013-2014 Emerging Leaders ELO Ocala/Marion County CEP (Chamber Economic Partnership)
- 2013-Present: United Way of Marion County PR/Marketing Committee
- 2014 Coordinator Marion County United Way Agency Spotlight video
- Speaker: Marion County Public School System’s “Career Day”, 2013
- Volunteer: Lee County “Baby U” program for underprivileged mothers, 2012
- Volunteer: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Lee County, Big Brother, 2005
- Emcee: Fort Myers Sunshine Kids benefit, 2003
- Emcee: United Way of Marion County 40th Annual Campaign Kickoff Banquet, 2001
- Co-Chairperson: Waterman Broadcasting Lee County United Way fund drive, raising a record $26,342, 2001
- Allocations Committee: United Way of Lee County (2 years), 2000 & 2001
- Member Ocala Elks Lodge (18 years), 2000-Present
- 2018 Ocala Utility Advisory Board
- 2018 Science Center Committee
- 2018-2019 Ocala Rotary Centennial Celebration Committee